Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Raising a boy


Wow! That is the best way to describe it. Having four other children, all girls, three of them older, it is a shock to me just how challenging it is to try to raise a son. I think of people who have all or mostly boys and I take my hat off to them. My boy is something else. I remember going to the doctor's office with my little girls. I had trained them well. They were to sit quietly and read a book (from home... eww, no doctor office germ ridden books!) while waiting to be called back. Do you think my son does this? HA!! Not a chance. I am lucky if I can keep him in the room with me. When I take him to the doctor (or anywhere for that matter) I can't take the baby too. He is enough work for a full time caretaker. Out of control? Maybe so.
When my cousin and his family came for a visit at Independence day, all three boys were pretty wild and my cousin and his wife are probably the best parents I have ever known, so when people say "it's because he's a boy" I think (I hope) they may be right.

4 comments:

gigi said...

OH MY WORD! WHAT IS THAT??
Please tell me that is'nt paint?

akglaciergirl said...

Before I even clicked to comment--I said the same thing:"Oh my Word"!! How did you ever get that cleaned up? Is everything forever ruined? I think when it gets to this point, you gotta just sit down and have a laugh--that's what I try (emphasis on try)to do with Jacob thru the years....these boys have their moments, but are oh so special to their Mom's!

The Queen said...

How did you get your girls so well-trained? I find the girls to be SOOOO much harder to deal with! I guess being raised with 5 brothers rubbed off on me!

Dar said...

I know that's not my sweet little nephew, but having a little girl only 4 months younger than yours, I can only sympathize and know where you are coming from! In case you haven't seen the chaos in my house with the permanent marker and the flood in my master bath, please see my blog. It may make you feel a lot better. I love you sis...hang in there!